Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Praying with Evangelii Gaudium, Day 15: Deepening our call

 This is the  15th entry in which I explore this  papal exhortation! I feel blessed that I have the opportunity to read and pray with it, and yet there are still many things that Pope Francis talks about that I feel I could understand better. This is why, in this entry, I'd like to  explore a little more deeply what Francis is calling us (the Universal Church, but also, all people of good will) to. I've thrown around the word ‘conversion', and 'renewal’ a lot from entry to entry. That’s because Francis does too. Renewal is mentioned 7 times in points 26-27 alone!  And conversion is the main theme of this section entitled “ Pastoral activity and conversion” (EG 25-33). It should be self explanatory that what we’re being renewed and converted to is Jesus: The deeper we go  into our intimacy  and knowledge of  him, the better we can understand our faith, and the more our lives are transformed. Nevertheless, perhaps more details are needed.

      In EG 30, Francis does help widen our understanding of this process, by reminding us that we can’t speak of evangelization without conversion. He goes even further than that, by speaking of conversion as a “ concrete manifestation of the Church”. Now, I realize that when he’s speaking about ‘missionary conversion’ as being the greatest expression of the Church as a present and operating body, he is referring to something very specific:  Christians going out into the world, and sharing their passion for Jesus with the world in such a way that will touch others and open them to the idea of conversion. This is in fact, how we can be Church incarnate to the world. But we need to be careful how we live that incarnation.  It’s not  just about bringing people to the faith. I've said that before in this blog,  we should not be too concerned about filling the pews, getting more bodies in our Churches. That’s not the point of evangelization.

 The point, the focus of evangelization, is ‘joy in communicating Jesus’. It’s bringing the light of that joy where it’s needed in our world. (EG 30) This is, in a way how I try to live my faith. I don’t whip out a bible and talk to strangers about Jesus. I don't even think that people who don't believe are condemned. Yes, I sometimes feel that their lives would be better with Jesus, but I don’t make the assumption that it’s me that will convince them of that. If God wants  them to  know that Joy, He/ She will make that happen. My job is to live that joy fully as a Jesuit, and to ensure all people see  what the source of that joy is for me. My call,  is also to continue going to those places where there is little hope, and to bring that hope that infuses my faith to all I encounter, to ensure that my experience of hope remains vibrant by sharing it with others.
   
   As lovely as that may sound, I think Pope Francis would challenge me. He may say, 'this attitude of yours  is valuable, but perhaps on its own, not sufficient. You have that missionary impulse in you. Don't leave it unattended. Make sure it remains focused, and generous. This is how it will become life giving both to yourself, and to others.' But he may also tell me ‘there’s no way you should be doing this alone. Stop treating this as ‘your ministry’, and start working with others to purify, and deepen your individual, and collective experience of faith. Let yourself be guided and inspired by your leaders, Bishops and lay people who are always trying to foster that budding missionary impulse contained in our experience of faith’. (a speech inspired by EG 31! )





Fr Tom Rosica meets with Pope Francis



  I had quite a wonderful experience with one such leader recently. This was not a Bishop, but a fantastic homilist and a great spiritual presence every where he goes, Fr Tom Rosica. He was recently visiting Newman Montreal, and there, celebrated a quiet Saturday night Mass. The way he retold the story of the presentation at the temple, the way he appropriated the story of Simeon and Anna for us, and the way he brought that together with Pope Francis’ quiet ‘revolution of tenderness’ was awe inspiring, and I must say, was even a moment of conversion for me. There was nothing new  in what he said, but just a reminder that, all this light, all this hope, all this tenderness and love is a force in our world.  We can’t let that force sit idly within our soul and not respond to it, not let it guide our every thoughts and actions.  In teaching us that, all Fr Rosica was doing was ‘pointing the way and keeping my hope vibrant’ (EG 31).  Part of me envies his ability to do this. Again, Pope Francis swoops into my inner dialog and says ‘ buddy…you also have your role to play, in being around people, with your own brand of ‘unassuming, and merciful presence’ (EG 31).  It seems the Pope is doing two things with me today. Challenging me to look beyond my habitual way of proceeding, but at the same time, embracing the gifts I do have to offer, and ensuring these gifts are shared with others. I have my own role to play in helping develop this missionary impulse. It’s strange I would get all this from his words about the ministry of Bishops, but I guess, that’s the power of Pope Francis: There’s wisdom to be cultivated in almost everything he says. We just have to be patient enough to(through the work of the Spirit, and through God's love for us) harvest that wisdom, and eventually it, share it, and the light it produces with all people.

30. Each particular Church, as a portion of the Catholic Church under the leadership of its bishop, is likewise called to missionary conversion. It is the primary subject of evangelization,[30] since it is the concrete manifestation of the one Church in one specific place, and in it “the one, holy, catholic, and apostolic Church of Christ is truly present and operative”.[31] It is the Church incarnate in a certain place, equipped with all the means of salvation bestowed by Christ, but with local features. Its joy in communicating Jesus Christ is expressed both by a concern to preach him to areas in greater need and in constantly going forth to the outskirts of its own territory or towards new sociocultural settings.[32] Wherever the need for the light and the life of the Risen Christ is greatest, it will want to be there.[33] To make this missionary impulse ever more focused, generous and fruitful, I encourage each particular Church to undertake a resolute process of discernment, purification and reform.

31. The bishop must always foster this missionary communion in his diocesan Church, following the ideal of the first Christian communities, in which the believers were of one heart and one soul (cf. Acts 4:32). To do so, he will sometimes go before his people, pointing the way and keeping their hope vibrant. At other times, he will simply be in their midst with his unassuming and merciful presence. At yet other times, he will have to walk after them, helping those who lag behind and – above all – allowing the flock to strike out on new paths. In his mission of fostering a dynamic, open and missionary communion, he will have to encourage and develop the means of participation proposed in the Code of Canon Law,[34] and other forms of pastoral dialogue, out of a desire to listen to everyone and not simply to those who would tell him what he would like to hear. Yet the principal aim of these participatory processes should not be ecclesiastical organization but rather the missionary aspiration of reaching everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment